| News | Match Reviews | Season 2019/20 | Toolstation NCEL Match Review 2019/20 #32

Match Reviews for

Toolstation NCEL Match Review 2019/20 #32

1st December, 2019

In keeping with the rest of the month, November ended with a raft of postponements in the Toolstation NCEL on Saturday although, this time, most of them were due to frozen rather than waterlogged pitches.

Two games survived in the Third Round of the Buildbase FA Vase but Bridlington Town and Yorkshire Amateur both bowed out to Ebac Northern League opposition.

Bridlington were at home to 2018 finalists Stockton Town and Billy Logan's 81st minute equaliser for the Seasiders saw them take the tie to extra-time.

But, the visitors finished the stronger with three goals in the further half-hour to move into the last 32 with a 4-1 victory.

And, the Ammers led 1-0 going into the final ten minutes at West Auckland Town - Ashley Flynn with the goal early in the second period - but a quick double from their hosts sadly resulted in a 2-1 defeat.

AFC Mansfield's home clash with Nottinghamshire neighbours Newark Flowserve was postponed and will now be played on Tuesday night.

Grimsby Borough then had the chance on Sunday to become the first NCEL side through to the Fourth Round and twice led at Midland League hosts Coventry United.

James Dean-Atkinson and Adam Drury put the Wilderness Boys' noses in front only for the home side to level, the second time through an unfortunate Joshua Sunter own goal, before a late quickfire double - one a penalty - saw Coventry progress with a 4-2 victory.

Meanwhile, there were plenty of goals in the four Premier Division matches that survived the weather with leaders Penistone Church's 3-1 defeat of hosts Knaresborough Town stretching their advantage at the top to four points.

Jordan Coduri and Ryan Johnson had them 2-0 up by the nineteenth minute and, although Andrew Cooper pulled one back for the home side after the interval, Coduri's second around the hour mark ensured all three points for Church.

Garforth Town, who were the only other top eight side in league action, were beaten 4-2 by visitors Maltby Main who climb to eleventh.

Jonathan Hill, Sam Forster and Rory Coleman gave Main a three-goal lead in the first half before a Sean Hunter brace, with one from the penalty spot, brought Garforth back into the game with ten minutes remaining.

But, Robbie Foster popped up just before stoppage time to make sure Maltby could breathe a little more easily up to the final whistle.

Devonte Newman-Morton's double helped Goole AFC to a 4-2 home win over Eccleshill United, the three points moving the Vikings up to ninth.

Niah Payne broke the deadlock early for Goole but the Eagles, through Tabish Hussain and Jonathan Irving, then led 2-1.

Kieran Mortimer made sure the scores were level at the break and Newman-Morton secured the victory in the second period.

And, Shane Kelsey struck a hat-trick for bottom side Athersley Recreation but it was not enough as they went down to a 4-3 defeat at Barton Town.

Marc Cooper and Ben Hinchliffe both struck twice for the Swans who move to nine points clear of the basement and up to sixteenth.

The three Premier Division matches that were postponed were Liversedge v Bottesford Town, Silsden v Hemsworth Miners Welfare and Thackley v Handsworth.

Division One leaders Skegness Town's home match with Ollerton Town was abandoned after 85 minutes due to a serious injury for Lilywhites defender Jacob Norburn - all at the NCEL wish him a speedy recovery.

Winterton Rangers leapfrog North Ferriby into third place after winning 1-0 at the Villagers, Luke Anderson with the vital strike midway through the second half.

Ferriby are fourth whilst Retford FC's 5-1 home victory over bottom side East Hull sees them move up into fifth.

Will Tomlinson's opening minute goal for the hosts was cancelled out by Iuri Braz but Retford led 5-1 by the interval with Adam Scott, Tomlinson's second and Shay Evans-Booth putting them in control.

Evans-Booth then added his second, this time from the penalty spot, on 55 minutes to fully confirm the victory.

There was injury time delight for Armthorpe Welfare, who are now sixth, as Joshua Bowkett popped up to grab a last-gasp winner in a 2-1 victory over Dronfield Town.

That was after Callum Mawbey had put Dronfield in front on 48 minutes and Adam Baskerville had restored parity on 73.

And, Brigg Town's 3-0 win over visitors Nostell Miners Welfare sees the Zebras up to fourteenth.

Adam Gowing, Reece Moody and Jake Reed all scored in a ten minute period in the first half to condemn Nostell to a defeat that sees them fall to eighth.

The Division One postponed matches were Glasshoughton Welfare v Swallownest, Hallam v Rossington Main, Harrogate Railway Athletic v Hall Road Rangers, Parkgate v Selby Town and Worsbrough Bridge Athletic v Campion.

Meanwhile, only one game survived in midweek with Silsden progressing to the Fourth Round of the League Cup on Tuesday night with a 3-2 win at Bridlington Town.

Mark Hutchinson put the home side ahead on four minutes but the visitors were quickly ahead themselves through Matthias Britton and Christopher Wademan before Joseph Danby struck just before half-time to make it 2-2 at the interval.

The second period was less eventful with Khurram Shazad's 54th minute strike proving the winner for the visitors.

Photo: Goalmouth action during Barton Town's 4-3 home victory over Athersley Recreation in the Toolstation NCEL Premier Division on Saturday. (Picture: Jim Nichol)

Latest Stories by Section